Tuesday 4 December 2012

Making a Living - Advertising Photography

Careers in the Photographic Industry
Advertising Photography

This is a genre of photography that I have always been interested in since I started in Photography.  Back in my BTEC in College for 2 years in photography, we were given an Advertising assignment.  It was great fun and reminded me of similar tasks that we are given at University.  I created and Advert for a supermarket and created a two page magazine page for food photography and photographed strawberry cheesecake.  I also produced an advert for Cadburys Chocolate Mousse, which was so long ago now, and was only something to add into my assignment for advertising, and I would be able to produce something so much better now days.  But it's all good to show.


The best way to get into Advertising Photography is to build up a big portfolio and develop a technique and style that is unique.  I have been doing this over the past three years and would like to think that I have now found a style to my work base,  and I have most definitely found a route of what I want my style to eventually be so I will carry on working that path.  My portfolio is gradually getting bigger and definitely more professional than last year.  I have been working hard on just using the photographs that show me for me.  I personally think that I have work in my Portfolio that can be used for Advertising Photography, but these things have to build up along with everything else first.
I've been told to read Campaign - and to follow the agencies that are winning jobs and to target them only if they have a similar style to my own.  This is something that I will try to do on a monthly basis from when I finish University.

The Advertising Photographers Role
The Role of this type of photographer is to hold and go to lots of Pre-production meetings, and control the production of shoots and explain all details to clients and account teams.  Whilst on the shoot, you work with art directors to achieve the best shots and deal with problems calmly.

Although I have looked at almost all of these before, I am going to Include some great Advertising Photographers on this blog so that I can always come back to look at this post and find them If I ever needed to.  There are some truly amazing works by each of the photographers below;

Nadav KanderKiran MasterAlex TelferDavid StewwwartGeorge LoganBen StockleyAndy GreenChris Frazer Smith.

Advertising Photography, depending on which field of advertising you go down, can be really hard to get into, and actually get jobs.  But most of the time, it is the simple shots with editing that will get noticed for ad campaigns and articles.

I think that if I want to focus on Advertising Photography then I need to focus on my portfolio really hard over the next couple of months and make sure that I am constantly doing shoots to get a big range of imagery.  I will also need to send out my work to online magazines to be in for a chance to get some work published.  Like i mentioned above, I will need to focus on my style of photography 100% and makes sure I go looking for the places that have the style I am going for.

No comments:

Post a Comment