Saturday 8 December 2012

Assisting Jobs & My Assistant Job

Careers in the Photographic Industry

Assisting Jobs

The first step for this is to get in contact with the photographers that I actually want to work for.  I need to ideally make an appointment with them.  Things like this can take a while to get but if very polite and If I kept at it and do not give up with a few different photographers then it could work.  After I finish University I would have had more than 5 years experience in working with Photography with a lot of different ranges from studio, locations, film and digital etc.  I'll need to be completely honest in everything I say to photographers that I'm asking.  Most of the time, honesty, a good attitude to learning is what photographers are looking for in assistants.

Most photographers will pay even a beginner depending on the experience you have in the field. The sooner i can explain what experience I have the better as I will probably get contacts quicker.

My Assistant Job
I have worked as an Assistant for a few years now with a professional Events Photographer called Andy Barnes.  I have been to many event with him as assistant and photographer.  I have been to big events such as The Kent Excellence in Business Awards, and The Caudwell Butterfly Ball as photographer two years in a row,  and many more other events such as proms and weddings and santa's grotto at christmas etc.  But I will talk about this more in depth on a later post.

The Role
The role for the assistant is to do everything so that the photographer is free to concentrate on the image he is producing.  Learning a long the way is always helpful, but is a secondary position as the assistant photographer.  As assistant, the rest of the people at the shoot will not care if you are trying to make it as the photographer because at the point your not.  Assisting means, help out on everything and anything when you can.  This is what I have had to do, even if there are stressful times, being an assistant is second to the photographer and is something that needs o be remembered.

If there are other clients on shoot, I still need to remember that I am just the assistant and not a photographer because at the particular shoot there is the photographer already and I have to remain the assistant.  This case was different for me in my jobs that I went to.  The photographer was on press call and was taking the photos of the celebrities and I was at the studio set up and was taking the photos for the whole night - but for these events I went to - I was more like the second photographer rather than the assistant.

Things to remember when being as assistant:

  • Be early to all photo shoots. 
  • Be presentable, and get prepared to be working hard on jobs that need doing around the shoot,
  • Offer to make drinks for all the team in the shoot,
  • Listen to everything that is asked of me and get used to the photographers working methods,
  • Try to meet everyone and find out who, communications are great in this business and very important in the shoot.  I should make a note of everyones names mention and this could be a great start to my own contact list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment