Saturday 8 December 2012

More Assisting Again

I have been a photographer for quite a while now and have used my own assistants for some of my work, I know what I would expect of an assistant but I know I would be very nice and calm for them helping me out, whereas in the real world - the photographer can do what ever he likes and ask whatever has can to the assistant because the assistant is there to help them.  I know that if I get any more assisting jobs in the near future it will be a lot more strict, and I would be expected to do everything that they ask for.

Assisting a Studio Shoot

  • For a studio shoot I need to make sure that the preparation of the set meets the relevant deadline and is correctly built and organise the set builder to do the work.  
  • I would be required to set up the lighting, checking all bulbs are working, flash tubes and fuses are all operative and that their is sufficient power available.  
  • I would also have to set up reflectors of the overall light and record power pack settings. Making sure all digital equipment is ready to use and that all cards are formatted and that there are external hardrives ready.  
  • I would handle the list names and number of client and all members of the production team, stylist's etc. 

Assisting a Location Shoot 

  • For a location shoot I would be required to travel to the location in advance to check availability or power supply, this would have to be done within enough time before shoot.  
  • Checking access of the location, roads, trains and the avaiability of accommodation and communication: WiFi. 
  • I would have to check the location studio, if being used, for power, height etc. 
  • I would have to organise hire equipment and transportation, as well as hiring other assistants for help as there would be quite a lot to take to the location. 
  • I would also have to setup up on location and check equipment is working. 
These are both things that I have done before in my years as a photographer so far - they are fairly obvious and quite simple to do.  It just requires a lot of planning and time management to get everything right for the photographer of the shoot to be ready.  

Skills and Knowledge
Abilities to make decisions quickly is handy, constantly asses what jobs need to be done around the shoot.  Checking before doing anything to confirm it is correct. Ask short quick questions so that I do not distract too much from the photographers mind.  The shoots can be at any point in the day so remembering overtime is not usually paid, just be helpful at all times.  
  • Stay relaxed enough to talk to but know when to stop and get busy when the pressure hits,
  • Have good digital skills to be more employable,
  • Second guess the photographer as then the bond there will keep you in a safe position.
I personally think I have all of the above and have already been an assistant for a few years to prove that.  And I have been given good comments about how I have been as an assistant and have been used by a few different photographers through word and mouth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment