Friday 7 December 2012

Being a Stylist and Stylist Jobs

My Ideas for my Future 
This is a field of work that I seriously considered doing as well as my photography.
My original ideas from when I was back in College was to finish my Photography Diploma and if I was to take a year out before coming to university I would have maybe tried to do a short course in styling and beauty make up, i would combine this with a partial hair course so that I could learn all aspects of beauty in the field.

The reason for doing this as my original ideas and why I might still consider it after university is because then, I will be part of a bigger business and have more experience under my belt!
If I can get my own shoots, with model for example, I would not have to pay out for a make up artist or hair stylist because I would already know how to do it.  I've always had these ideas and it is something I am still thinking about.

As far as the career as a Stylist goes, a stylist provides the props, which can be as varied as clothes, furniture or china, and anything that is required for the photographic production.  If becoming a stylist as well as a photographer is a path I will try then I have to remember that any ideas I have towards an image I can completely change but as far as the whole look goes, I would probably be on a very tight brief that only wants a specific thing.

If the brief image is for a magazine the props are usually borrowed from shops in exchange for credit in the publication, but if the image is used for advertising purposes, the stylist buys or hires props from prop houses or hire companies.

Why am i interested in becoming a Stylist
I want to try out a bit of styling in the future mainly because I feel like this is the section in my photo shoots that I am actually very good at.  It wouldn't just be buying products, It would be choosing related things to the photographers style as well and the market the shoot is aimed at.  Planning and scheduling is important for a Stylist which is the only section that I probably wouldn't be best at, but it is all something that can be worked on.  Everything for the shoots has to be delivered on time and the transportation would be in my own hands so there holds a lot of responsibility, which I know I do have and work with really well in business purposes.

I like that the reputation you can gain as a stylist can get you so many contacts with shops, hire companies, suppliers can mean that If I held down a substantial job as a stylist but had my own freelance photography business as well I would be able to have good contacts to help myself out with my own work. I think another reason why I like the idea of becoming a stylist is because an Established stylist for photo shoots can earn up to £500 per day !! This would be a great place to be in my future career.

  • Fashion photography - fashion magazines, mail order catalogues, brochures, on location and in studio - this would be a dream job for when I finish university and is what I will aim for. 
  • Food photography I have always had an interest in and I could potentially be a stylist for cookery books, packaging, magazines and adverts. 
  • And there is also the option of Room set photography with home interest magazines and 
  • Still Life photography - again working with magazines, books and packaging. 
All of the bullet points above I would love to work as an assistant Stylist for, they would be a great lead for working my way up to the top. 

Getting Started on becoming a Stylist
  • I need to make sure my portfolio is better and bigger and that I include more work.  I basically need to get shooting more frequently so that I have a lot more images. 
  •  I also need to do this so that I can try and get my photographs published because the client will want to see my own published work in tear sheets.  
  • I need to get in contact with photographers and work for free on a few jobs to get my portfolio bigger and then the photographer will pay for everything in return for free styling. 
  • I need to start phoning agencies and magazines only after my portfolio is at a higher standard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment