Tuesday 13 November 2012

Working to a Brief : 1 (studio) - Interpreting the Brief

The Brief I was Given & What I think About It
I was put into a group for the third brief, which was called 'Pisces, Cancer, Scorpio'.  Straight away when my name was called for this group brief I was happy as I have done Star Signs before. I once started a Star Sign project and wanted to show each of the 12 signs, I didn't manage to finish the project and is something I will re-do probably after I have graduated, but I found many props and had done a few shoots for some of the signs.  But I researched into the theme and had a lot of ideas for this shoot. I also had some prop ideas that I have had and used before.  The fact that the three portraits that we have to produce are of the specific 'pisces', 'cancer', and 'scorpio' signs, made it a little harder in the fact that I did not find anything to use for scorpio. Within our group I mentioned that I had done a lot of work with this before and had tried it out, and I told my group the fact I like the styling and working with the props the most and would like to be that position for this brief.

Interpreting the Brief - Star Signs; Pisces, Cancer, Scorpio.
O - Sketching out initial ideas for this brief could be beneficial and show ideas that portray this concept.
O - Looking at descriptions in the original Brief, can help to reach what is needed to be conveyed.

O - The Format of these images are important. We need to know the parameters we have to fit the image to.  Need to make sure it will fit fine as a double page magazine spread and is large enough for the billboards etc. We also need to make sure there is 'dead-space' around the subject for text and logo's to go for the client.

O - The Location for this shoot is quite simple. Because it is an inside Studio shoot we only have to make sure we have one of the studio's booked for us to use. We also need to make sure we have the right equipment to use.

O - Street Casting can be cheap and fast but also not as reliable, the model may not turn up. Using people we know or from a model agency could be a better plan. We need to make sure we take the description from the brief and apply that when looking for model's and make sure they have the right attitude potential for the shoot. Good interaction will be needed to make them feel comfortable. We need to make sure we have back up models. Model release forms will have to be done for each model.

O - The Prop / Styling is something that one person should be responsible for, in this case, me. It will include sourcing clothes and props for the shoot. There is a budget of £25.00 for the shoot and I will be in charge of that and how much we spend on props available.  The receipts will need to be seen but own clothes & props are possible.

O - Lighting / Equipment will need to match what is given in the brief. We will need to work out what lighting and equipment we will need, when we will need it and it will need to be in the studio ready.  Make sure all equipment needed is booked and ready for the shoot day.

All of the above has to be thought about before and during the shoot. All are important things to make sure that the shoot will run correctly.  There are plenty more that each individual in the group will have to think about, but working as a team will be the best way to get the brief done right.

No comments:

Post a Comment